Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. - Psalm 127:4-5

Thursday, December 1, 2011

26 weeks!

Two things have marked this week in specific: 

One, my energy is finally coming back!,
and two, my back is killing me these days.

Right around Thanksgiving I noticed my energy increasing.  I could tell, because ever since turkey day I've been in the kitchen cooking like a fool!  That hasn't happened in months, truthfully.  But it seems right around the time that my energy came back, I've been plagued by back spasms that won't go away.  Our chiropractor up in Vermont predicted this would happen, if I didn't keep up my chiropractor visits; and he was absolutely right.  26 weeks seemed to have turned the corner for me.  I think I'm starting to go down hill!  Going up the stairs ain't what it used to be..  Neither is sitting up in bed, or getting out of the bathtub. 
If I'm already struggling at 26 weeks, what will I be like in 3 months?!  

I've decided this week that a chiropractor is no longer a luxury, but rather a real necessity.  I've avoided couches like the plague, and am often sitting on the floor for fear of back spasms.  I refuse to be taken down by this belly weight!  Speaking of weight, at my weigh-in this week, I had gained about 21 pounds.  Not too bad, since I've only got 14 weeks or so to go.. 
AND they say some women stop gaining [or even lose a little] in the last few weeks. 


I had a very thorough meeting with my midwife this week.  We talked for almost an hour about my fears and concerns and details of the labor.  I also decided to bring a doula on-board for my birth.  Her name is Loretta, and she's an older friend from church.  But what's a "doula", you say?  According to the national doula website:

The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves", and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth.  Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

So my labor team will now comprise of me, my husband and coach, my midwife, and my doula!  I'm pretty excited.   I thank God for His provision to me, and I look forward with anticipation to meeting our little boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment