Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. - Psalm 127:4-5

Friday, August 12, 2011

Week 5 - Surprise!

It was a Sunday morning.  

Scott and I were getting ready for church and I had been suspecting that I was possibly pregnant. We had just started trying a couple of weeks before.. I pulled a pregnancy test out from beneath the sink and did my business.  Within a minute, the ClearBlue pregnancy test read nice and loudly,  PREGNANT.  I smiled at myself in the mirror, said a prayer to our good God, and walked out to Scott at the computer.  I laid the pregnancy test down on the desk and his eyes lit up.  Scott was immediately thrilled. 
But it was a bittersweet moment for me.. 

See, I have a genetic issue that can complicate pregnancy; it's called a Robertsonian Translocation of my 13th and 14th chromosomes.  In short, it can be very tough to "hang onto" a pregnancy throughout the first trimester.  Many women with my genetic issue suffer from frequent miscarriages..  But once they're through the first trimester, the likelihood of the baby's viability goes up exponentially. 

Let's just say I found out at 5 weeks that I was pregnant, and it's been a very long couple of months.
Lots of prayer, tears, and nausea. 
But nausea's a good sign!  All we could do was wait.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment