Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. - Psalm 127:4-5

Friday, August 12, 2011

Week 7

Still pregnant.  Phew.  

One night, before I got pregnant, Scott and I were browsing the Netflix InstantQueue options on our TV.  We stumbled across a documentary called "The Business of Being Born".  We gave it a go, and it completely changed our lives.  Two hours later, we had a completely different view of pregnancy, birth, and America's healthcare system.  I won't go too into detail this early in the game, but we decided to question traditional labor in a hospital.  I had always been a huge advocate of drugs, and thought women who gave birth naturally were completely nuts.. but were they? 

In the weeks following, I had lunch with a friend from church who's a doula and a licensed lactation consultant; all totally new things to me at that point.  Somehow we got on the topic of natural childbirth and the documentary I had seen.  Keep in mind, I was pregnant at this point, but had no idea.  Upon leaving lunch that day, I was even more interested in the topic of natural childbirth, without medical intervention..  I was sensing a theme.  That Sunday in church, she brought me a couple books that discussed the topics further.  One of these books was called "Your Best Birth", and it was written by the same woman who put together the documentary Scott and I had seen a month back.  I tore through the book and became a total advocate of natural childbirth.  She made such compelling arguments of how women all across history have given birth without medical intervention for thousands of years.  Sadly, the United States has a much higher infant mortality rate than many other countries.  Interesting fact, considering how we seem to have "mastered" the whole process..  Perhaps we're fixing what isn't broken.

But anyway, got blood-work drawn and the results were conclusive:  I was definitely pregnant.  My numbers looked really good.  Still waiting... for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment